22 January, 2007

Super Bowl, here we come!















We did it! Can I say "we" even though I live in London? My hometown football team, that's American football, is headed to the Super Bowl! Go Colts! I think it was the karma of my niece, little Jane, who spent the day in Colts pajamas, that turned the corner for the team. Of course, my sister is a big, powerful executive at the definitive sports channel which until I get permission from her must remain anonymous, so she knows how to train a child to be a sports fan. Yippee! Apparently part of the big buzz is that both teams, the Colts and the Bears, have black coaches, and it is the first time a black coach has got to the Super Bowl. That sure seems a long time coming, and I can understand the Indianapolis coach when he says he hopes that stops being remarkable, fairly soon. Good, we need another sporting event to get excited about. And at least I can sort of understand the rules, unlike cricket.

I wish we could turn some of their good luck on poor Avery, who is home sick for almost the first time ever. Just miserable, and quite bored as well. "If I have to look at another computer screen, or television screen, I will go crazy!" is the verdict. Plus, she claims not to be able to swallow a pill, so there is no abating of her symptoms. This to her father is a serious red flag. He has visions of her suddenly, overnight, coming down with an ailment that if she can't swallow six pills on a Tuesday with a full moon, she'll die. To John, saying she can't do something is just... an illness in itself. So he's huffy. "Daddy's lost all sympathy," Avery says. "But you're still a nice mummy." The child knows that a household without even one sucker parent is a cold, cold house.

So how to entertain an at-home child? I'm afraid we're looking at that parents' worst nightmare: the boardgame. Meanwhile, good on you, Colts!

1 comment:

secondhand bicycles in uk said...

Excellent Articles writing Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world. am really impress your work Stay Blessings On your Work..
olympic station cycles
trendy cycle shops london