27 October, 2007

a right Gaelic time














































Goodness, where to start? We're back, after a week in Ireland and a day in Wales, with a suitcase full of FILTHY laundry (it's dirty living in a 13th century castle, plus ponies, rolling on abbey lawns, countless cooking adventures with salmon, potatoes, cabbage and other sundries without an apron, nettles, rainstorms, you name it), cats unbelievably grateful to see us (which I think speaks to Dory's warm treatment of them while we were gone: if they had been lonely they'd punish us). I just crawled out from under a duvet with two cats stretched out on my legs and if I hadn't heard the *&^% sound of the washer telling me a load was ready to come out, I'd have stayed there all night.

We had the time of our lives. It started a bit rocky dragging a puny, lurgy (great English word that; in my family we say "snorky" but it all means full of something nasty in the head and chest) Avery with us. But she rallied.

I shall have lots more tomorrow, but feast your eyes on these photographs. And feel fortunate that the Irish accent I immediately developed ("stop pronouncing all those extras ts, Mummy!" I heard quite soon) doesn't come through on a blog. We are all collapsing, this misty evening, but I'll be back in fine form on the morrow, sure and you've been missing me...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back from a semi-regular reader... also used to be a professor, also lived in NYC, also in London with a young daughter, and kinda sorta thinking of writing a book, but will probably just read yours instead!

Kristen In London said...

Oh, Anonymous, I feel we should meet! Not sure how to go about it, though. Let me know if you'd like to get in touch and we'll arrange some sort of rose-between-teeth thing.

Anonymous said...

Would love to meet! Now, how to get in touch? Is there an email link somewhere on your page? I think if I had a google account I could do this somehow. I could be brave and post my completely unanonymous yahoo email....

nyclondon said...

OK-- it's me, anonymous-- I've got it sorted out, I think. Follow up comments should be emailed to me. Give it a try, and soon we'll be having coffee.

nyclondon said...

...except it doesn't really solve the problem. Sigh, leave it to me to make it more complicated. Anyhow, let me know if I can email you, otherwise I'll post my address.

Kristen In London said...

Hi nyclondon! How about send it to this email address, which I'm encrypting, in a way, as my techy husband suggests! qcps.london (at) gmail.com. So type it in as it sounds if you read it aloud, does that make sense? good luck, and we'll be sipping a latte before you know it.

nyclondon said...

hi there-- I sent a message to that address-- hope it got through.