05 November, 2008

yes we did














I can't really express how proud we are all feeling here in London: to have played our part in the most open-minded and forward-looking election of our lifetime. It felt wonderful to wake Avery up at 5 a.m. just in time for Obama's acceptance speech and to see how proud she felt to be connected to a country that would make the decision we made yesterday! I know it's a lot to live up to, all those promises. But it's the sorts of promises that have been made, and the priorities that are reflected in them that make me happy. To have elected someone who is positive, interested in the world outside America, generous probably to a fault, curious, gentle and optimistic feels like such an energetic change that I am anxious to forget the old dialogue and watch the new script play out. It feels a bit far away here, but the jubilation of our adopted home and the excitement all around the world makes us feel closer to home. I know the real world will come crashing in, but for just today, I am ready to think we're poised for better times. Onward and upward! Just keep him safe.

6 comments:

min said...

You express so well how I feel here in NYC. I always felt that Obama exhibited grace. My ten year old kept running up the stairs in our apt last night yelling "we won New Jersey" "we won ny". I feel like our country has an opportunity to redeem ourselves, like we have chosen the right path again after a period of faltering. It makes me happy to hear these sentiments are felt abroad.

Kristen In London said...

Min, we are really feeling jubilant here. I watched the acceptance speech again last night and felt quite at peace. It's exciting to watch something begin, isn't it?

Bonnie said...

I had election fever all day on Tuesday - I was so proud of the turnout of voters.
I spent a lot of time replaying Obama and McCain speeches over again yesterday.
I loved the heart warming stories that we heard from just ordinary people and how the election affected them. Bonnie

Kristen In London said...

I'm so glad, Bonnie, that I'm not the only one replaying the speeches! For me, the most tear-making line was this: "...tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from our the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope."

S. said...

I watched Tuesday's election coverage with my father from the middle of my half-packed living room, since I'm in the middle of a move to another city. (Change in leadership, change in life. Poetic?) Just as most other people, I just felt so proud of being part of this country at this moment. One lady I read today put it very well: this election was the triumph of faith over fear. Hopefully this transition bodes well for us.

Kristen In London said...

best of luck in your move! yes, faith over fear... fingers crossed!