09 April, 2010

lolling in Salisbury

Just the tiniest of updates to let you know all is well...

We are photographless for two reasons: one, we were unceremoniously burgled last week, AGAIN, and all photos are gone. Except for the ones we have taken since, and we have come away to Wiltshire (MUCH more on this soon!) without that essential piece of equipment that allows us to connect computer to camera, and to exchange all the blessings thereof.

So all I can say, briefly is this: 380 Cathedral steps up to the spire (whew), 5+ miles walk today to see the settings of several pivotal scenes of "Pride and Prejudice" (proposal in rain: swoon on cue).

And tonight: the best Indian meal EVER in the history of mankind: black lentils in honey and yogurt? Twice-roasted pork in vindaloo? Spinach with garlic and fenugreek leaves?

But wait: tomorrow will bring... dinner here with an exalted guest: our guide of the Salisbury Tower Tour. He is quite simply the most charming gentleman any of us has met in about a thousand years, so it was but the work of a moment to invite him to mozzarella-stuffed meatballs in the Wardrobe, our abode high above the Cathedral Close, tomorrow evening. Watch this space.

8 comments:

Casey said...

watching!

Nick said...

How awful to be burglarized again! I can't imagine how unsettling that must be. Do you think it is the same culprits at it again? I vote for you getting a large dog. Glad to read your escape to the countryside is going wonderfully and you are relaxing.
Min

A Work in Progress said...

Sounds lovely - hope you are avoiding the imminent rain!

Foxi Rosie said...

You should have mentioned it sooner, I am only 40 minutes away from Salisbury. What fun, the close... perfect setting. Ted Heath and several authored pens have lived along that wonderful close.

Kristen In London said...

Well, all, we are recovering. Min, the insurance company is simply sick to death of us: two burglaries in nine months. Deb, the rain may be hitting London tonight, but the weather out there was amazing!

Rosie, when we were lost for a bit on the winding roads, I saw a sign for a certain town and suddenly realized... it was very close to you! Next time, my dear...

Bee said...

What a mix of good and bad! The dinner with your guide intrigues, but another burglary? How awful.

Kristen In London said...

Bee, I know it. And I will, I vow to thee I WILL blog about Wiltshire, partly because there is almost no story in my life as felicitous as that of the Tour Guide Who Came to Dinner. When life calms down, I promise.

Just a Plane Ride Away said...

Oh my goodness! How awful for you, Kristen. But I am glad you were able to enjoy yourself in Wiltshire...